In the past, efforts to reduce wear focused on improving implant design and polyethylene quality. Now there is OXINIUM ◊ Oxidized Zirconium, available exclusively from Smith & Nephew. Hardness, lubricity and abrasion resistance are all improved. Knee simulator wear testing of OXINIUM ◊ material showed an 85 percent decrease in polyethylene wear compared to cobalt chrome. Our products may help patients live better. OXINIUM ◊ is a material that may last longer.
Features of OXINIUM include:
- Ceramic bearing surface reduces risk of fracture
- Surface transformation, not a coating
- Suitable for metal sensitive patients
- Highly wettable, abrasion resistant and low friction ceramic surface
- Long term mechanical and chemical stability
*care needs to be exercised with all bearing surfaces intra-operatively