Now more than ever, there is a drive to treat patients away from resource-intensive hospitals, to treatment in the community.
This means that you will see more and more complex and demanding wounds. These wounds need more than just managing – they need active intervention. PICO lets you meet this need, boosting patient wellbeing at the same time as saving money.
PICO makes it possible
NPWT efficiently heals open wounds, closed incisions and hard-to-heal chronic wounds by applying negative pressure to the affected area. With over 1,000 peer reviewed publications, NPWT is a proven and effective wound therapy system.
A therapy to transform lives
Living with a complex wound can have a significant impact on patients’ quality of life. Physical discomfort, social isolation and anxiety are just three well-documented issues. Added to this, patients can suffer with a wound for years and some need daily dressing changes. So a wound can become a long-term, distressing part of a patient’s life.
PICO has been developed to address key patient issues:
- Unique dressing design – no canisters, for greater patient freedom and to protect patient dignity
- Pocket-sized – can be hidden from view to improve mobility
- Lightweight – lets the patient carry on with life
- Lights, not sound, indicate alarm status – to reduce patient anxiety
- Completely battery operated to avoid the necessity to of having to charge the device from the mains power
PICO in practice
- A 64-year-old woman suffered a trauma injury to the ankle
- Wound conservatively managed, but unhealed after 6 to 7 weeks
- No underlying co-morbidities accounted for delayed wound closure, but oedema present around the ankle
- 10 x 20cm PICO dressing applied
- 1 week later, oedema subsided around ankle injury and wound considerably smaller, depth of wound bed reduced from 1cm to 0.5cm
- 3 weeks after treatment initiated, wound almost closed
- PICO replaced with moist wound healing therapy (ALLEVYN◊ Gentle Border Lite)
Use with Fillers
A filler is recommended when the wound is deeper than 2cm to ensure that the negative pressure can reach all parts of the wound bed. PICO is compatible with the standard Smith & Nephew NPWT foam and gauze fillers.
The videos below show the application and removal of PICO on wounds with and without a filler.