TANDEM◊ Product Information
The TANDEM◊ Bipolar and Unipolar Hip System is a comprehensive partial hip replacement system. The TANDEM bipolar and unipolar systems restore joint stability by designs that are intended to simplify implantation and minimize concerns for wear. With both unipolar and bipolar options, the TANDEM system offers double the simplicity of traditional partial hip systems - with just one easy-to-use set of instruments.
TANDEM Bipolar Features and Benefits
Easy implant assembly. The assembly requires less than 5 lbs of finger pressure. This eliminates the need for bulky assembly tools and creates less frustration with the OR staff.
Wear Performance Features
The preassembled poly component is designed to minimize micromotion and backside wear. The anti-rotation boss located on the top polyethylene locking ring is intended to minimize rotation and wear at the periphery of the shell. TANDEM has a minimum thickness of 5 mm in the majority of sizes.
Range of motion is important in reducing rim impingement in bipolar prostheses. Because ROM is not only dependent upon neck design, TANDEM is designed with a wide liner chamfer.
The disassembly feature allows the surgeon to change femoral head neck lengths if soft tissue tensioning is not adequate. It also allows easy implant removal when revising the prosthesis.
Implants are available in outer diameter sizes 38 mm - 55 mm, 57 mm, 59 mm, 61 mm, 64 mm, 67 mm, 70 mm, 73 mm
TANDEM Unipolar Features and Benefits
- The unipolar continues to use two components, a taper sleeve and a CoCr metal head.
- Unipolar components come in a full range of sizes, 40-55 mm in 1mm increments and a 57, 59, and 61 mm.
- Five neck length options, -3 to +12 are available to adjust the neck length of the unipolar.
For additional information, please contact your local sales representative.
1. Bartel, DL; Burstein, AH; Toda, MD; Edwards, DL: The effect of conformity and plastic thickness on contact stresses in metal-backed plastic implants. J Biomech Eng. 1985 Aug; 107(3):193-9.
2. Smith & Nephew internal testing.