In this section we will discuss a few things you need to know in regard to surgery and recovery. We will cover some common hospital protocols as well as precautions your doctor and staff will be taking to avoid complications which can result from surgery.
- Surgery and recovery
- Post-operative care and precautions
- Rehabilitation after hip replacement surgery
After surgery, you will be taken to the recovery room for a period of observation. The staff will monitor your blood pressure, heart rate, respiration and body temperature. Special attention will be given to your circulation and sensation in your feet and legs. When you awaken and your condition is stabilized you will be transferred to your room.
While protocols differ from hospital to hospital, here is a list of things you may see when you wake up:
- A large dressing applied to the surgical area
- A drain tube leading into the surgical area
- An IV will continue to be used to provide adequate fluids and administer antibiotics and other medication
- A catheter may have been inserted into your bladder as the side effects of medication often make it difficult to urinate
- A V-shaped wedge pillow may be inserted between your legs to keep your new hip in the best position
- A patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) device connected to your IV for pain relief
Your surgeon will give you specific post operative instructions when you are discharged from the hopital's care. If you have any questions, contact your surgeon's office.
Hip Rehabilitation After Surgery
Hip replacement surgery is a very complex procedure. However, the outcomes following hip replacement are usually very successful. One of the important critical success factors for a successful outcome is following the physical rehabilitation process. In order to help achieve the goals for a successful total hip replacement, you must actively participate in the rehab process and work diligently on your own, as well as the physical therapists, to achieve optimal results. Follow your physician and physical therapists instructions.